[Digikam-users] What does DK's import from card do?

John Stumbles john at stumbles.org.uk
Mon Apr 9 13:33:30 BST 2012

(Apologies if this is an RTFM/STFW question but I couldn't find the answer!)

With DigiKam installed on a Linux KDE system when I plug in a camera's
memory card KDE offers me options to open a file manager or import
pictures with DK. I've always imported pictures using my own script
(http://yaph.org.uk/photo/) which renames each image file, transposing
UPPER CASE to lower and prefixing the camera-generated filename with a
date-and-timestamp derived from the image creation time in
YYYYMMDD_hhmmss format and puts them in a directory with today's date
e.g.  ~/pix/2012/20120409. It also auto-rotates images according to
their exif orientation tag.

Can DK do anything like this? Especially naming the files in the format
I'm currently using: I would not want to try to rename my existing
collection of images to match a different scheme just to suit DK.