[Digikam-users] DK becoming unstable

David Vincent-Jones davidvj at frontier.com
Sat Sep 17 22:09:30 BST 2011

I am now getting a better idea from where my problems were emanating in
the file rename arena. Even better on how to avoid most of the problems.

When one adds tags to an image, DK creates an xmp file of the same name
but the file is basically empty and only contains the tag info.

"File Rename" however does not rename the xmp files which become
orphans in the folder. The reason that the progress bar does not
complete is that the xmp files are not altered. A further complication
is if one has *other* attached files (such as .ufraw) they also will be
omitted from the process ... that's nasty to fix!

When I update the metadata a further xmp file is created with the
correct new name and fully populated. I now need to strip out the orphan
xmp files to complete the process.

To avoid most of the problem the file-rename needs to be done prior to
placing tags if no xmp file already exists. ufraw and similar file types
just cannot easily be fixed.

David