[Digikam-users] tool to view 4 images at once on screen (personal not related to dk)

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 14:35:58 BST 2011

2011/9/16 Jean-François Rabasse <jean-francois.rabasse at wanadoo.fr>:

> On Fri, 16 Sep 2011, Gilles Caulier wrote:
>
>> And how to synchronize views to zoom and pan canvas at the same time ?
>>
>> How to image by pair to compare side by side ?

>> What's about to show a preview of RAW image in gimp, without process
>> demosaicing ?
>
> Well, I didn't pretend GIMP was THE definitive solution to all problems:-)
> My comment was rather to point out an alternative to Gwenview.
> And, as usual, the best tool for someone will deeply depend on what you
> expect to do with. But I can answer to your objections :
>

>> And how to synchronize views to zoom and pan canvas at the same time ?
>
> Synchronisation, you're right, this requires a single partitionned
> window to handle that. With a "any windows number" tool, you don't get
> synchronisation. But you're not stuck to 2, 4 or 6 images at a time.

> Memory is not a software related issue but a computer issue.
> Whatever tool you use, the max number of images you may be able to handle
> at a time will depend on your computer RAM and swap.
> If you can't open 10 images with GIMP, you won't open them with Gwenview,
> or anything else, at least on the same machine.
> (And swap memory is not a solution, it's too sloooooooow)
>
>> What's about to show a preview of RAW image in gimp, without process
>> demosaicing ?
>
> RAW image ? Was that the initial issue ? I don't know raw images viewers,

digiKam is a RAW viewer and a RAW processor.

RAW viewer is a tool which is able to preview RAW without to process
it. How it's do : it load the preview image (JPEG) embedded in RAW as
metadata... Fast and reliable to see if shot is good...

> or multiple raw images viewers, just raw images processors.
> When I try to open with GIMP one of my .NEF file, GIMP fells back to
> lauching ufraw (it's my KDE file association).
> If I try to open it with Gwenview, I just get an error message
> "cannot display documents of type image/x-nikon-nef"
> So...

No. You talk about demosaicing here. See my preview comment.