[Digikam-users] Migration problems - Digikam 1.8 to 2.0

gerlos gerlosgm at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 11:46:12 BST 2011

Il giorno 12/set/2011, alle ore 10.11, KrpaN ha scritto:

> Hi:
>
> Can anybody help me with a detailed advice how to migrate from digikam 1.8 to digikam 2.0. I tried everything (almost) and had no luck. Either the tags are lost or I get the error message about some pid which is different from another pid. Nevertheless, I did migrations in the past, but in a way that I re-entered all the tags every time digikam got new major version. Now, the amount of pictures grew to much and I cannot do the job manually anymore. Thus, I am sure there is a way, I just need someone to show me how.

Did you try to tell Digikam to save metadata inside the images? This way your tags are saved inside the images AND in you database, and you can migrate them just importing the images in the new version of the program: Digikam will re-populate your database with all your tags,

Obviously writing all metadata to the images may take a lot of time (depends on the number of the images), but it's automatic and reliable, afaik.

After that, you may decide to keep writing metadata to images (more security, a little less performance), or change the settings telling digikam to don't write themin images any more.

good luck
gerlos

--
"Fairy tales are more than true, not because they tell us that dragons exist,
but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten."