[Digikam-users] Migration problems - Digikam 1.8 to 2.0

Photonoxx photonoxx at free.fr
Mon Sep 12 10:40:30 BST 2011

Le Mon, 12 Sep 2011 11:26:48 +0200, Rinus Bakker
<sleeplessregulus at gmail.com> a écrit:

> Hi Bojan,
> I know nothing about migration from 1.8 to 2.0. But if you have NO .RAW
> files in your collection I know a good work around.  Write metadata to
> pictures, and after upgrade read metadata from pictures. This way you
> should
> have your tags back, but as said it does not work on raw.
>
> BTW. At wich point/action you get the message about PID?
> Rinus

Metadata writing does work pretty correctly, even if it's presented as not
recommended and experimental.

After that, effectively some RAW extensions still aren't took in charge,
but some others works well with metadata writing (as NEF in my case).

Some bugs can occur with exiv2 which give you some frights about loosing
your pictures (especially if you don't use only one software to work on
your RAW), but in general cases, there's a way to get your pictures right
back (it happens sometimes CaptureNX doesn't open anymore my digikam
modified NEF, and after a patch applying, open their back correctly).

The main thing is to make backups.

--
Nicolas Boulesteix
Photographe chasseur de lueurs