[Digikam-users] Do you want to try digiKam and/or showFoto on Ubuntu but you are running Windows have a look at this.

sleepless sleeplessregulus at hetnet.nl
Thu Sep 1 18:50:30 BST 2011

Op 01-09-11 16:18, Marie-Noëlle Augendre schreef:
> You  don't even need to install a virtual box. If you look back in the
> list archives, a few months ago I explained how I had used Digikam
> with a simple LiveUSB; in fact, you can bring your Digikam everywhere
> with you and run it on any PC.
>
> Marie-Noëlle
On certain occasions this could be useful to me. I can not find in my
mailbox and the archives appear hardly searchible

Could I consider the text shown beneath that has been brought up by
google as your final text?
If so could it be improved in the sense that it becomes reproducable by
almost anyone regardles which platform they prefer?.
I myself may not be the smartest person around but I don´t think I could
do with this text.

Rinus

Anyway, I ended up with a *USB*-key on which I've created 2 partitions
with Gparted: - one fat32 of about 2Gio for the *Live*-Fedora system -
the remaining part formatted in ext4, being available for data.

The .iso *Live* system image is created on the key with the following
command: # livecd-iso-to-disk --home-size-mb 64
<name-of-your-iso-file-system> <destination-unmounted-device> This
setting provides 64Mb of persistent /home for the liveuser, that allows
to keep all the settings and customization (for Gnome, *Digikam*, etc.)
from one session to the other.

The first time I boot from the key, I launch *Digikam* and set up the
database and first collection on the 'data' partition of the *USB*-key;
the key is then ready tgo be used by an 'end-user'.

This seems to work pretty well, but hasn't been used in production yet.
And keep in mind this *USB*-based *Digikam* will be used only for little
local collections for quite a short time, as they will be centralized
periodically onto a central database on disk. My purpose here was to
provide 10 to 15 team members scattered 'on the field' with a system
ready to use so they can upload their own pictures and do some tagging
before transferring their data to the team manager every couple of weeks.

This will be used in the 'real life' pretty soon. I'll let you know if I
have to change or adapt something.

Marie-Noëlle