[Digikam-users] Google Maps API

Den schimmelpilz at freenet.de
Fri Oct 28 11:17:41 BST 2011

I'm not sure if I understood the article and Google's announcement -
but in case I did, they are talking about map loads *per day* (the
article only mentions it once, but in other places on the net it's
described more clearly). That's what was posted on Twitter:

/>>> Google Maps API is still free! Just has a limit of 25k maps/day.
That means pricing only affects the top 0.35% sites! <<</

25.000 map loads for free, and after that paying 4$ for 1.000 map
loads shouldn't really affect Digikam. Especially since they define
one map load as follows:

/>>> A "map load" counts as a user opening a page with the app on it.
The degree to which a user interacts with a map once it has been
loaded has no impact on the usage limits.<<</

I don't know how many active users Digikam currently has, but I guess
it should be rather difficult to exceed 25k map loads per day.
Geolocating pictures might be a nice feature, but surely not the part
of Digikam that we use so excessive ;-)

Greetings,
Den