[Digikam-users] Thanks to Philip

Philip Johnsson philip.johnsson at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 18:25:07 BST 2011

As I mainly build packages I use myself I will be quicker about
updating for 11.10 that I use myself for now. Maybe I'm lucky to use
KDE with (K)Ubuntu as there seem an unhappy camp about what's going on
with Unity and Gnome in Ubuntu.

When it comes to Natty I will more or less update on request. So if
you feel that I'm lagging behind on or miss something for Natty then
just send me a request and I'll try to fix that if and when I have
time.

/Philip

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 6:18 PM, sleepless <sleeplessregulus at hetnet.nl> wrote:
> I Hope you will keep it up to date for Natty as long as possible. I do not
> plan to update to 11.10 for obvious reasons.
> Supposed I would change my distro, which distros can benefit from your ppa?
>
> Rinus
> Op 26-10-11 18:09, Philip Johnsson schreef:
>
> Aha, you mean like that. There is nothing wrong building it all by yourself,
> in fact it can be both fun and educational, but there's no real gain and you
> don't need to put down the time or the hassle to install plenty of
> development versions of packages and building tools. Also it's much easier
> to maintain installed packages (mine, others or your own) and how they
> effect your system than manually building and install a local or global
> setup.
>
> With my packages you also can use the power of libgphoto2 to transfer images
> from a bunch of cameras that are disabled in the official Ubuntu 11.10
> packages of Digikam 2.1.1. With my packages you also get support of the
> latest exiv2 0.22 for handling image meta-data. My build also use the latest
> version of OpenCV 2.3.1 instead of the official 2.1 for backend handling of
> the face detection stuff. Don't think there is any difference for the user
> which version of OpenCV you use even though the newer version have new
> features for developers to implement if they want.
>
> Have fun with the new goodies. Keep the feedback coming so both Digikam and
> my packages can be as good as it gets.
>
> /Philip
>
> On Oct 26, 2011 4:34 PM, "sleepless" <sleeplessregulus at hetnet.nl> wrote:
>>
>> Op 26-10-11 16:20, Philip Johnsson schreef:
>>
>> You are welcome, but what was the easy way? :)
>>
>> Not building myself but using your PPA.
>>
>> Happy digikaming!
>>
>> /Philip
>>
>> On Oct 26, 2011 4:07 PM, "sleepless" <sleeplessregulus at hetnet.nl> wrote:
>>>
>>> After all the lost time lately I took the easy way out to get dk up to
>>> date.
>>> Awsome, thank you Philip!
>>>
>>> best,
>>> Rinus