[Digikam-users] Help needed on ubuntu 11.10

Martin (KDE) kde at fahrendorf.de
Wed Oct 26 11:52:07 BST 2011

Am 26.10.2011 12:27, schrieb sleepless:
> Thanks for all who tried to cheer me up a little.
> In return to the list some serious info here probably only useful to
> Ubuntu users.
>
> If you are on Ubuntu 11.04 and you are tempted to download something,
> hold your breath a few seconds and make sure you update and NOT upgrade.
>
> If you do upgrade to 11.10 the following may happen:
> - your system does not start anymore
> - your restored backup does not start anymore eyther.
> So please follow philips´s advice and make a clean install and do only
> so after a real backup of your system. fsarchiver is your friend.
>
> Now you will find the new system probably not as much fun as you hoped for.
> You may succeed to get rid of unity and overlay scrollbar, but gnome
> environment is not what it used to be. IMHO the great OS ubuntu has
> evolved within 6 months to a useless peace of crab.
> So, after all you might want to restore your backup of 11.04 which maybe
> no longer starts due to grub problems caused by 11.10.
> I figured out how to solve that, so you may ask if it happens to you too.
>
> If you just backed up your settings and personal stuff, you should be
> aware that a symple rsync does not takes hidden files in acount. The
> things you wanted most take care off are lost.
>
> to name a few:
> .bash_history
> .thunderbird
> .mozilla
> .kde/share/config/digikamrc

Rsync perfectly handles hidden dot-files. If you run rsync like 'rsync
-av * /dest/dir' this will not take dot-files but this is a limitation
not bound to rsync.

If you want to backup your home directory with rsync use 'rsync -av
/home/user /dest/dir' instead.

Just a tip: try rsync-backup run by cron. With this you get an
incremental backup with history and plain files accessible via file
management.

And Rinus: try Fedora (either KDE or Gnome spin). They are up to date
and at least I had no upgrade issues since a few versions with three of
my hosts.

Martin