[Digikam-users] Retrieving metadata

Remco Viƫtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Tue Oct 25 09:10:49 BST 2011

On Monday 24 October 2011 16:12:58 Samuel Ronayette wrote:
> Hello
>
> is there a way to look for files with a specific value of a field in the
> metadata? For example, I want to search all the photos in my 'Images' folder
> that were taken with a given lens.
> The "advance search" in digikam does not seem to allow me to do so...
> If not possible in digikam, do you know a tool (under linux) that would
> allow me to do so? I installed the "exif" program, but it doesn't see this
> "LensModel" field in the metadata
> (note that the field "LensModel" does appear in the metadata in digikam,
> when I clik on the tab "Notes du fabricant", but not in the "EXIF" tab)
>
> Thank you
>
> Samuel

Hmm, if it is in the 'makernotes' ('Notes du fabricant') section, I'm not sure
exiftool can decode the makernotes section, as that section is often very
incompletely (or not) specified by the camera maker (makernotes for Sony only
got added quite recently to Digikam)

On the other hand, if I look in my raw files with exif tool, I get 2 'lens'
tags: 'Lens Type' and 'Lens ID' (using 'exiftool -a -u <file> |grep "Lens" ')
but no 'LensModel' tag. I don't get a 'LensModel' field in digikam either.

Lens type seems to be based on a byte value, and can give me several lens
descriptions (i.e. several lenses use the same ID), Lens ID is in a
'Composite' section of the exiftool output, and can give the exact lens used
(in the file I used here, I used a fixed focus lens, so combining Lens Type
and focal length left only one possible lens).

Hope this helps a bit

Remco