[Digikam-users] I broked it :-( - dependency problems

e-mail robert.m.davies robert.m.davies at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Oct 14 08:17:12 BST 2011

I am unable to install digikam since I tried to compile from source.
I will list the steps I took below.
If anyone can help me to get digikam back up and running, I'd be very
appreciative.

I had digikam2 installed and working from the PPA under 11.04
I reported a bug, and was offered help if I could run from the latest git
version.
So I uninstalled the digikam2 package and I cloned the digikam2 source onto
my home partition using git.
I tried to compile, but I didn't have all the correct dependencies.
I started installing dependencies 1 by 1 using the method on this page:
After about 6 dependencies, I decided there had to be a better way.
I found this page: http://www.digikam.org/drupal/download/dependencies
I tried running 'sudo apt-get build-dep digikam2', but it failed with
errors. I guess (and only guess) that it was because of the packages I had
installed manually.
I don't know how to resolve dependency conflicts. I don't know how to force
a package to install.
I gave up trying to install from source and decided to install from the
repository again, but now this fails with dependency errors too.
I left it for a while and tried to muddle through using gwenview.
Today I upgraded to 11.10.
Digikam still won't install.
When I try to install 'digikam' from the repository, I get the following
error:

 Package:
/var/cache/apt/archives/libkface-data_1.0~digikam2.1.1-0ubuntu1_all.deb

Error: trying to overwrite
'/usr/share/kde4/apps/libkface/haarcascades/haarcascade_mcs_righteye.xml',
which is also in package libkface-1 2.0.0-natty~ppa7kde47

Package:
/var/cache/apt/archives/libkface1_1.0~digikam2.1.1-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb

Error: trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/libkface.so.1.0.0', which is also in
package libkface-1 2.0.0-natty~ppa7kde47

>From the look of it, it might be worth mentioning that I was subscribed to
the kubuntu backports ppa, and updated to latest kde before the distro
upgrade to 11.10

Based on this, is anyone able to help me? I miss digikam!

Rob