[Digikam-users] Problem with new hard disk containing existing images

Stuart T Rogers stuart at stella-maris.org.uk
Wed Oct 12 14:09:39 BST 2011

I think the main point here is some way which the non-technical user
will be happy with to locate the collections and one which will not confuse.

The user will expect to navigate to his/her collection via a path and
will expect that path always to contain the collection. So it is fine to
use the UUID as a reference to determine that something has changed but
in my view it is imperative that IF something changes the user is
immediately asked to confirm whether or not to use a new path. This did
not happen in my case it simply opened the database and used the UUID to
find the original collection which was still mounted but in a different
place and updated the location in the database with the new path.

Action like this is in my view totally unacceptable, if any change is
detected (and it is right that it is) then the user must be immediately
asked to confirm the change and if not wanted then to be able to select
the correct location by path.

In my case if this had been the case then I would not have had to start
this thread.

Stuart

Website: http://www.stella-maris.org.uk
or:      http://www.broadstairs.org