[Digikam-users] Problem with new hard disk containing existing images

Marcel Wiesweg marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de
Tue Oct 11 21:11:25 BST 2011

> I agree there's no perfect solution for all cases.

This is the point.

As you already found out, digikam supports mount paths as well and uses them
as fallback if no UUID is available. Additional form can be added in the
future (for the SQLite case and the hard drives you mentioned, one could think
about a "relative to location of database" identifier). We definitely need
better identifiers for network storage, we may need alternate identifiers to
make things work cross-platform.

So we assume that the collection is located by some identifier, and that the
files are available, as you say, by some file path. At runtime, we resolve the
identifier to the current file path of the location. The path can also change
at runtime (plug in a removable device) and is never written to the database.

Marcel