[Digikam-users] Digikam and the KDE

todd rme toddrme2178 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 08:42:43 BST 2011

On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 8:09 PM, sleepless <sleeplessregulus at hetnet.nl> wrote:
> I thought there was an effort a while ago to port digikam to quicktime to
> make it independent from kde, which makes it dependent of quicktime.

I think you mean Qt.  Qt is a widget toolkit, quicktime is a (mostly
obsolete) multimedia codec and container.

> I think it would be great if there came  a fork of digikam that takes the
> grandiose, excellent, wonderful, splendid, magnificent, special, unique,
> exquisite, exclusive, unparalleled digikam architecture  as a fundament and
> build it up from the ground without all the needless complexities that makes
> it so prone to trouble.

And how many years are you willing to wait for that?

That is ignoring the fact that digikam would become far more complex.
 Add to that the fact that with far fewer people using it than are
using the more general KDE-provided functionality bugs will be more
common and harder to track down, and with far fewer developers bugs
will take longer to fix.

-Todd