[Digikam-users] Digikam and the KDE

Andreas K. Huettel dilfridge at gentoo.org
Fri Oct 7 18:48:52 BST 2011

On Freitag 07 Oktober 2011 19:32:39 David Vincent-Jones wrote:
> Of course this is plain heresy but .... looking at digikam installation
> problems I have had and that others share on the forum, many of the
> difficulties appear to be rooted in the tight integration of the program
> along with the requirements of its desktop environment.

Actually most of *these* problems occur because people try to run digikam with
libraries that do not ship with the installed Linux distribution, or try to
combine different sets of incompatible libraries. Seriously, if you want to be
bleeding edge, either compile yourself (not too complicated), or use a
bleeding edge distribution. :)

> Are there graphic, or other, functions that can only be done under this
> environment? I hardly think so. Is my desktop improved by the use of
> this emulator? If so I do not see it.    ....... Are there any thoughts,
> or moves towards, extracting Digikam into a more neutral environment?

Probably impossible. The integration is pretty deep, and digikam uses a lot of
KDE features. Then, of course, just because you're too lazy :o) to install
kdelibs, that's not really a reason for the rest of us to lose the tight
integration into our favourite desktop environment...

Cheers,
Andreas

--

Andreas K. Huettel