[Digikam-users] Digikam memory usage

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 17:43:18 GMT 2011

2011/11/15 Alberto Ferrante <alberto.ferrante at tiscali.it>

> Gilles,
> I do not think I will be able to do that soon, it takes time and I do
> not have much at the moment. We anyway know already why it crashes: it
> fills up all the available memory (8GB of RAM +14 of swap) and it gets
> terminated. I monitored memory usage and this is what happens.
> I can tell that the memory use increases with the number of images. It
> is "acceptable" below 1-2'000 images; it becomes unacceptable above that
> threshold.
>
> If you can, please try importing a folder with, say, 10'000 images...
> Are you able? How much memory is it using after the folder scan phase?

yes, i can import 4000 image from my external HDD. No crash here. Both on
my desktop (8Gb) and my laptop (3Gb). I can follow memory allocation
without to see any memory leak.

So i suspect something wrong into an external dependency of digiKam, as
libraw (if you import RAW file), or libexiv2 to read metadata and fill DB.

The valgrind trace is not enough informative.

To you import only JPEG, or RAW, or RAW+JPEG ?