[Digikam-users] Tag autoselect improving ?

Photonoxx photonoxx at free.fr
Mon Nov 7 23:24:08 GMT 2011

No, it's not what I want...

May be it will be easier to explain that in french, but, I think it would
be more logical if Digikam offers a way to :

- automatically select parents tags in a hierarchy when a child is selected
- automatically unselect children tags when a parent tag is unselected

but nothing more.

For example :

I suppose I have a hierarchy like this

Places/France/Normandy/Eure/
and inside "Eure" a tag for differents cities :

Gisors
Evreux
Louviers

With no auto toggle:
I have to select each level of hierarchy if I want tag a picture took in
Gisors to have Places/France/Normandy/Eure/Gisors tags

With Auto parents :
To tag this picture, I just have to check "Gisors" tag, but, if I uncheck
"Gisors" (because, finally the picture was not took in Gisors, just in
Eure), all parents are unchecked too, and I have check Eure afterall.
If I have "Places/France/Normandy/Eure/Gisors" tags and uncheck Normandy
(Pictures finally not took in Normandy), now there's just "Places" and
"France" which are unchecked. "Eure" and "Gisors" remain checked... It's
pretty ugly for me.

With auto child it's almost the same thing but reversed. It's get a
logical behavior when unselecting, but if (from scratch) I check "Eure",
I'll get "Gisors", "Evreux" and "Louviers" tags too (I don't know how I
could take a picture in these three town in only one photos...) but I
don't get "Normandy", "France" and "Places"...

With Auto Both, nothings works fine for me, that's for checking nor for
unchecking, in each case, something I don't want will be checked/unchecked.

May be I miss something, but I can't get the wanted behavior...

Was it more clear now ?

Le Mon, 07 Nov 2011 23:17:45 +0100, Gilles Caulier
<caulier.gilles at gmail.com> a écrit:

> 2011/11/7 Photonoxx <photonoxx at free.fr>:
>> --Sorry one more time, I miss the select of the right email account for
>> sending to digikam list, so may be this message will in double--
>> Hi,
>>
>> Actually, Digikam tag selection offers four setting for autoselecting
>> (or
>> not) in a tag hierarchy.
>>
>> No auto select
>> Auto select/unselect parents
>> Auto select/unselect childs
>> auto select/unselect both
>>
>> Can anybody could say me if there something like that in the digikam
>> wish
>> list
>>
>> Auto select parents / deselect childs ?
>>
>> I explain... Usually, I use this king of hierarchy
>>
>> Common tag/..../specific tag, like for example :
>>
>> Country/France/Normandy/Eure/Gisors
>>
>> If I would tag a picture with the "Gisors" town tag, it is coherent if I
>> auto select parents, but if I tag too specifically and I decide to
>> uncheck
>> Gisors tag : All my hierarchy is unselect, which is not logical in this
>> case, specific tag wouldn't avoid general tag...
>>
>> In an other hand, if I make a mistake and my picture was taken in
>> england
>> (yes, I'm really silly), if I uncheck France tag "Normandy/Eure/Gisors"
>> stay checked, which is incoherent too (picture can't take place in
>> Gisors
>> but not in France !)
>>
>> So it seems to me, this could be really improved by adding an option to
>> set this kind of behavior :
>>
>> If I check a tag, parents tags are checked too
>> If I uncheck a tag, childs tags are unchecked too
>>

> Go to Tags tree view from Caption/tags sidebar, and show op-up menu.
> Look "Toggle Auto" option on the bottom. It's not what you want ?
>
> Best
>
> Gilles Caulier

Nicolas Boulesteix
Photographe chasseur de lueurs