[Digikam-users] Re: What I'm doing wrong with face detection?

Sven Burmeister sven.burmeister at gmx.net
Mon May 23 21:23:18 BST 2011

Am Montag, 23. Mai 2011, 12:00:32 schrieb Erick Moreno:
> I noticed that too, this happens when you are tagging faces. But, when you
> try to match new faces with existent tags, the face detection suggest new
> faces for that tag and put the suggestions together with the faces already
> confirmed. I see some problems in the way that Digikam is doing this.
>
> 1- Of course the first problem is that Digikam can't make good suggestions
> 2- There is not a visual differentiation between faces already confirmed and
> faces suggested by digikam and not confirmed yet. Because of it you need to
> move the cursor over the picture to figure out if it is already confirmed
> or not.
>
> Nobody else think that this is a problem?

I think that there are a lot of issues with current implementation of face
detection, user guide to the first scan and the face detection features, the
time it takes to get first results, no grouping to ease naming etc. One simply
has to use Google's Picasa once to see how easy to use and unhidden it should
be in the GUI.

But digikam is different in terms of resources etc. thus the first version of
face detection will have issues when it is released, that's the way open-
source works, incremental improvements over the releases.

Sven

PS: Sorry for the other reply, I clicked on send by mistake.