[Digikam-users] What I'm doing wrong with face detection?

Erick Moreno erickmoreno at gmail.com
Fri May 20 02:07:03 BST 2011

Hi,

I think that I'm doing something wrong with face detection using Digikam
2.0.0-beta5.

Just after update to the new beta version, I tried to recognize some faces
in my photos. I made a first scan to "Detect and recognize faces". This scan
takes about 12hs. After that, I marked some people (about 10), including me,
and tried to recognize faces.

The result was quite disappointing, digikam suggested to mark with my tag, a
lot of faces from people that really doesn't look like me. I'm a 28years old
guy from Brazil and it suggested 80y old ladies, dogs, some japanese
friends, children, and go on.

At first I thought that the algorithm needed more information to be accurate
and I confirmed a lot of pictures of me (about 200) and created others tags
to mark people that it confuses with me with no success.

I made a lot of scans, merged results, tried to recognize faces again, set
the accuracy to 100, cleared unconfirmed results and rescan, confirmed about
500 photos manually and I still can't see the face recognition match faces
correctly.

What I'm doing wrong?

Cheers

--