[Digikam-users] Re: Color Management Jeopardy

Marcel Wiesweg marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de
Wed Mar 16 19:04:43 GMT 2011

> With so many persons using so few (relatively) camera models I am really
> surprised that there is not a wealth of camera profile data sitting out
> there for common use.
>
> Canon, unfortunately, now bury their information in a welter of
> propitiatory files, it almost appears that this manufacturer is trying
> to force the world into its software. Shame!
>
> Maybe it needs the open-source community to assemble and disseminate
> reliable information.

The problem IMO is that there is no comprehensive CM solution for Linux. There
is ArgyllCMS, which is probably powerful, but cryptic.
In digikam, we attempt to do what we can within our scope, but there is no
system-wide profile register, no good support for setting a monitor profile
(I'm talking about a KDE-based UI), what about printing?
Let alone a wizard to guide throught the creation of a profile even if you
have bought a target and made a photo of it.

Marcel