[Digikam-users] Re: Any interests in Digikam 2.0 packages and digikam PPA?

Pentti Rautio pentti.j.rautio at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 6 20:12:49 GMT 2011

2011/3/6 Philip Johnsson <philip.johnsson at gmail.com>:
> Hi all
>
> I think it's know to this list that I have Digikam 1.9 packages on my PPA
> for Ubuntu 10.10 but I have no idea on how may people use it or what the
> interest is, beside some people now and then get in touch with me about this
> and that with packages.
>
> I just started to build packages of Digikam 2.0 beta3 for myself and
> wondered about what the interest in them are for you guys? They are made as
> digikam2 packages so they won't automatically update if you prefer to use
> the stable Digikam 1.9 but will conflict if you try to install them both at
> the same time. I might upload them to my kubuntu-backports PPA as you will
> need stuff from KDE 4.6 to build.

I am more a photographer than a linux-expert and I have used your
"extra" happily . When I bought new equipment tree weeks  ago had to
use also "backports" yesterday. Worked fine too. Thanks!

It would be good to have the possibility to easily choose what one
wants and sometimes the only solution is a beta-version but usually
the stable version is what people like me need because we use this "in
production".

So I think that the need is for both an up-to date stable version and
also for a beta version for this distribution (10.10). Of course this
is more complicated for you. But it is great that you do this when
canonical don't!

> Second question is if you guys would prefer a separate digikam PPA with just
> digikam stuff instead of as it is now to use my "extra" and for exiv2 0.21.x
> support my kubuntu-backports PPA? For me it's easier to do as I'm doing now
> and upload my stuff to the "extra" PPA but I don't know how many of you
> don't want to use it because it includes a bunch of assorted updates that
> you want to leave as they are.

The extras don't bother me although I possibly don't need them (or
don't know the benefits)

Thanks for your great work!

Pentti

> Feedback on this from anyone who cares are appreciated.

If you have separate