[Digikam-users] Re: Importing Tags from Images

Marco Tedaldi marco.tedaldi at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 17:16:48 GMT 2011

Hi Martin

Am 06.03.2011 16:20, schrieb Martin (KDE):
> Am Sonntag, 6. März 2011 schrieb Marco Tedaldi:
>> Hello
>>
>> I'm using digikam since a longer time. My setup is a bit special,
>> because I'm mounting my home directory over NFS.
>> I know, that one should not have the sqlite database on an nfs
>> share. It has worked for me most of the time. And when the
>> database died, I could always just build a new one since all my
>> tags and data was stored in the images anyway
> I know it is not recommended, but there is nothing wrong with it. I
> used it over a couple of years without any problem. If your
> network/server is reliable you will not loose any data. besides of
> that, a backup on the server will let you loose only one day work (and
> backing up a single server is easier than backing up several clients).
>
> I only switched to a local copy because my server was to slow (an old
> P-III with 400 MHz on a 100MBit network). Now I sync the photo folder
> from server to local HD on login and backwards on logout.

Nice Idea. But my client only has 160GB of disk space. That's not enough
for all my images. Speed of the network is not that big of an issue
since I could yous rsync and only sync the changed images.

>> This time I wanted to make it better. After the update to version 4
>> had failed I had left it for a while. Now I just set up an account
>> on my mysql server for digikam and let it use it. Import has run
>> and Imported my almost 50000 images.
>> The only problem is, that not a single tag has been imported. When
>> I open the images in another editor, I can see, that the tags are
>> there, but digikam does not show them (not on the image itself nor
>> in the overview).
>>
>> I'm a bit lost now. Who knows a way to feed the tags, that are
>> stored in the images, back into the digikam database?
>
> There is an option to reread metadata from pictures (but only for
> selected photos or one album).

Tried it. It did nothing :-(

I took a bit a deeper look into it. The Keywords are stored in iptc. If
I take a look at the metadata of the image in digikam, I see that the
keywords are there.

Re-Importing the metadata does not help.

It seems that it is a problem related to the mysql backend. I've opened
a bug and found, that there are similar problems with the migration tool
when migrating from sqlite to mysql.
Also, there seems to be a problem if you're not giving the database user
full privileges on your whole database server but only on the used
database :-(

Sadly, it seems that the mysql backend in 1.4 is just broken :-(

Marco