[Digikam-users] Re: PDF version of manual gives 404 error

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 10:44:39 GMT 2011

It's me.

A lots of people have works on handbook in the past. But, since a long
time, it's have not be updated. Last updated date around 1.1 or 1.2
release, if i'm not too wrong...

Handbook, of course, need to be updated for future 2.0 release,
including new feature, and also, 1.x missing in current documentation.

Handbook do not use a wiki page to be written. It use docbook syntax
(XML like code). It's not complex to understand.

docbook can be converted to HTML, to RTF, to PDF, etc. Also, it can be
translated by i18n team. KDE scripts run around to extract strings and
created pot files for translators. Another scripts get .po files
translated and re-inject at the right place the translation strings...

http://www.docbook.org/

The handbook repository is here in GIT :

https://projects.kde.org/projects/extragear/graphics/digikam/digikam-doc
https://projects.kde.org/projects/extragear/graphics/kipi-plugins/kipi-plugins-doc

The main goal of an handbook writer is to write right missing sections
in handbook. Current handbook must be printed or displayed in first to
see missing parts.

Others jobs is to review current documentation and to patch text.

As handbook is text file, you can patch sections and use git diff
command like this :

git diff > new.patch

Later, i can review your patch and include it in git repository.

But it's better to have a git account to contribute here, especially
is more than one contributor want to help on handbook writing.

// -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note, that we have a super repository which include all 2.0 source
code, all main dependencies written by digiKam team, and handbook :

https://projects.kde.org/projects/extragear/graphics/digikam/digikam-software-compilation

Checkout the repository and run :

./download-repos
./cmake .
./make

Of course, all dependencies must be resolved before. Look _ALL_ NEWS
files for details

I hope that it's clarify a little bit the digiKam handbook writing way.

Best

Gilles Caulier