[Digikam-users] Re: More on backup

Julien T julien.t43 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 06:28:22 GMT 2011

2011/2/23, David Vincent-Jones <davidvincentjones at gmail.com>:
> My experience with off-site backups was not so positive. I found that
> the upload time with today's large images was quite punishing even for a
> single day's run.
>
> I now use a Sata drive to rotate backups and an additional passport
> drive for use while travelling. I alternate backup drives in my bank
> safety deposit box during my monthly visit.

I want to also add my experience as a current traveler
- keep images on memory card and rotate them when full
- copy on computer and classify/rate/tags/...
- rsync to a server all jpg (small enough ~1MB ... not possible for raw ~11MB)
- with exiftool (not possible/quick enough with digikam), select all
file with a rating of at least 1, and make a dvd iso image with
jpg+raw of these file (I handle size manually as I do a symlink dir
image and use dereference to create iso). These dvd will be send by
post to my home.
- If I managed to plan friends on my path, I will ask to have portable
disk to backup everything to my home
- I'm still not sure, to add an extra backup level with a portable
disk with me. extra security, but extra weight too ...

For online offer, I don't know if any of Carbonite/crashplan/... are
fit for traveler around the world. If they only have bandwidth in US
or Europe, it's not really useful.
Didn't check it tough.

Cheers,

Julien