[Digikam-users] Re: SRBG, Adobe RGB, What to use ?

sleepless sleeplessregulus at hetnet.nl
Mon Jun 27 19:57:12 BST 2011

Op 27-06-11 20:32, Martin (KDE) schreef:
> Am Montag, 27. Juni 2011 schrieb sleepless:
>> And for what it's worth, I know of some photographers that produce
>> outstanding
>>
>>> work with 8-bit formats all along their workflow, using the GIMP
>>> for their 'detailed' processing, and JPEG as their final format
>>> for display or printing.
>>>
>>> Remco
>> I completely agree with that. Itś almost the same discussion as if
>> you can hear difference between audio cd and audio dvd, I
>> certainly can not,
> Of course you can, everybody can. Take a cruel record pressed on CD
> and a qualified re engineered one on DVD-Audio and you will hear the
> difference in CD and DVD-Audio. I must confess that it works the other
> way around as well.
>
> Honestly, this is more of the part what do I need and what do I want.
> I for my part can perfectly live with sRGB on final jpegs. And my
> "old" (this sound strange to me, calling a four year old photo camera
> old - I used my really old Olympus OM-4Ti more than 10 years and the
> OM-2 even longer) EOS 30D may be limited but I can make great photos
> with it.
>
>> and I wonder on what media and for who it is
>> possible to see difference between 8 and 16 bit images al long as
>> one is used consequently during workflow, but of course it is just
>> one opinion.
> And this opinion the the only one that counts for your work. If
> someone can proof your work to be better with better technical setup
> it may be a good idea to change. But this is still your choice.
absolutely right Martin. I have seen stunning pictures taken with a
praktika (any living being out there who knows what that is) and I know
people carrying around kilos of hightech but hardly able to produce a
decent picture. So what I try to point out is first of all it´s being at
the right time at the right place, and your eyes.  Hightech can wash the
charm out of your pictures. Photography has never been as popular as
since whe started to take realy bad pictures with our phones. How came
we so obsessed with better equipment. It was because someone succeeded
to let us believe that we needed it to be able to make nice pictures.

Rinus