[Digikam-users] Re: SRBG, Adobe RGB, What to use ?

Martin (KDE) kde at fahrendorf.de
Mon Jun 27 19:32:30 BST 2011

Am Montag, 27. Juni 2011 schrieb sleepless:
> And for what it's worth, I know of some photographers that produce
> outstanding
>
> > work with 8-bit formats all along their workflow, using the GIMP
> > for their 'detailed' processing, and JPEG as their final format
> > for display or printing.
> >
> > Remco
>
> I completely agree with that. ItÅ› almost the same discussion as if
> you can hear difference between audio cd and audio dvd, I
> certainly can not,

Of course you can, everybody can. Take a cruel record pressed on CD
and a qualified re engineered one on DVD-Audio and you will hear the
difference in CD and DVD-Audio. I must confess that it works the other
way around as well.

Honestly, this is more of the part what do I need and what do I want.
I for my part can perfectly live with sRGB on final jpegs. And my
"old" (this sound strange to me, calling a four year old photo camera
old - I used my really old Olympus OM-4Ti more than 10 years and the
OM-2 even longer) EOS 30D may be limited but I can make great photos
with it.

> and I wonder on what media and for who it is
> possible to see difference between 8 and 16 bit images al long as
> one is used consequently during workflow, but of course it is just
> one opinion.

And this opinion the the only one that counts for your work. If
someone can proof your work to be better with better technical setup
it may be a good idea to change. But this is still your choice.

Regards
Martin