[Digikam-users] Re: SRBG, Adobe RGB, What to use ?

Martin (KDE) kde at fahrendorf.de
Mon Jun 27 06:56:32 BST 2011

Am 26.06.2011 21:36, schrieb Patrick Op de Beeck:
> Martin,
>
> you speak of 16bit and Profoto or simular but is this available under
> GNU/LINUX ?

In general yes. You can use ProPhoto with 16 bit. Digikam is capable of
handling this. Krita can handle this as well.

Sadly one of the most important graphics software on Linux is not. Gimp
can handle 8 bit depth only (currently). But it is very good in colour
management handling.

> Since I like photgraphy, and I shoot also in 3D I am wondering how far you can
> get on a GNU/Linux system with the quality.

I don't know of any 3D software for Linux. As I don't use 3D photos my
knowledge on this is limited. I once shot stereo photos in the old days
with analogue film cameras and was very pleased with the results. But I
never tried with digital.

> A lot of people are focused on the kernel and windowmanagers but in the
> applicationprogramming area we have still a lot to catch up.

This is a mixed bag. Without a good base you can not write good and easy
to maintain software. There were many good software out there which are
lost as no one is interested to maintain. And with a cluttered GUI and
desktop no one will use the software.

> I would like that for example digikam can also handle
> 3D photographs. I took several  3D photographs with my Lumix GH2  and saw it
> on a P50VT30 plasma television. I must say that the images are stunning and
> not compare to viewmasters 3D from the previous century.
> These 3D images are really good. And soon I think they will be as normal a a
> tv for us. It's one of those revolutions that will stay. (B/W TV, colour TV,
> Stereo, THX sound, Flatscreen TV and now  3D. The standard is recently fixed so
> there is no excuse anymore not to incorporate it.

That may be true, but it has to be done by someone who has a major
interest in it. Four years ago there were only two usable (almost)
pieces of software for raw photo development on linux. Now you can chose
out of several very interesting (and very good btw.) programs. Time will
tell if 3D is as important as raw development.

Martin