[Digikam-users] Re: Photos not rotating

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at gmx.de
Sun Jun 26 11:51:24 BST 2011

Stuart T Rogers wrote:
> I have done a bit more testing and have found that if I download photos
> from my wife's Kodak camera but using the SD card in a reader her photos
> are actually correctly displayed both in digikam and other software
> which does not read the exif. However when I download the photos from my
> Canon SX10IS by connecting it directly to the PC the photos are not
> actually rotated but simply displayed correctly in digikam, other
> software does not show the photos correctly oriented. This explains why
> my photos uploaded to Piwigo are not rotated.

In my opinion the best way to get rid of such kind of problems is to rotate
all pictures such that they are *stored* in the correct orientation, and set
the EXIF orientation flag to "normal", so pictures are always shown in the
correct orientation, regardless whether the program used to display them
evaluates the EXIF orientation flag, or not.

I'm simply doing this by selecting all images in a folder right after they
have been copied to the DK directory tree and then using digikam's
menu "Image->Auto rotate/mirror". As far as I know DK rotates the images
lossless.

In the DK configuration there is a setting called "Show pictures/preview
according to EXIF settings". If you *uncheck* this then you can easily see if
an image is stored in "normal" orientation, or not.

Please note I'm using a localized version of DK, so I'm not sure about the
exact name of the menus and settings mentioned above.

Martin