[Digikam-users] Re: SRBG, Adobe RGB, What to use ?

Remco Viƫtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Sun Jun 26 11:01:55 BST 2011

on Sunday 26 June 2011, Patrick Op de Beeck wrote:
> On the my Lumix is the choice between Adobe RGB and sRGB.
>
> What are the advantages/disadvantages of both settings ?
> What should I use with Digicam ?
> Does it have any effect on RAW pictures ?
>
> Patrick

To start with the last question: No, your choice of colour space doesn't have
an effect on your RAW files.
And, You can use both with Digikam.  (that was easy ;) )

Now for the harder bit:

The main difference between the 2 colour spaces is that Adobe RGB has a larger
gamut (can express more colours) than sRGB. BUT: most screens and printers can
only use/display sRGB, so an image using Adobe RGB will not display/print
correctly in such a case. At best you will get a transformation to sRGB 'on
the fly', at worst your images will look very flat and dull.

If, like most people, you have your photos printed commercially, your best
(only?) bet is to stick to sRGB.

Only if you print your images yourself and you have a printer capable of
printing Adobe RGB, you could study the differences and decide what to use.

The above is just a very quick answer, you'll need to search for more in-depth
texts to really understand what's going on.

Remco