[Digikam-users] Re: NEF/RAW+JPG: how to maintain coherent metadata

Robert Zeller robert.zeller at robert-zeller.org
Fri Jan 21 14:42:23 GMT 2011

Julien,

please find my comments in your text:

On 01/21/2011 02:51 PM, Julien T wrote:
> Thanks Robert, Elle,
>
> In fact, I also have all nef+jpg in the same folder.
>
> good script Robert.
> two question
> - is there a way to ensure there is no nef tagged by errors and no
> erasing of user-metadata ?

The script works for all *.nef that have a common basename with a *.exv
; e.g. if there is one dscxxx.exv and a dscxxx.nef then the metadata
that were selected by the parameters that follow the -i option will be
replaced in the raw file with those in the .exv file. If you don't want
to replace the data of a particular dscyyy.nef then you have to remove
the related dscyyy.exv before executing the script.
> - why exiv2 -iix*e* ? e is for photo exif metadata. you don't want to
> keep the raw ones ?

It depends upon what you want to replace; if you want to leave the
original exif section untouched, then of course leave the "e" parameter
out. If you want to replace everything you can use the "a" parameter :
exiv2 -ia *.nef will replace all sections with the respective contents
in the *.exv files. I am not quite sure about the comment/caption. Until
recently it was not possible to write a comment to nefs. But I had the
impression that with the newest exiv library this is also possible now
with Nikon raw files.