[Digikam-users] Re: Renaming photo files

Elle Stone l.elle.stone at gmail.com
Sat Jan 8 12:48:46 GMT 2011

Renaming whether using digikam rename or an outside program seems to
leave a mess behind in the database. In my test database, some files
had been renamed twice, once using digikam rename and again using
exiftool. The database had all these files listed three times, and all
entries had the original file name associated. It was not clear to me
whether using digikam rename had any advantages over using an external
program.

It would seem a good idea to avoid renaming files if at all possible.
Especially given what Gert says about digikam using the first entry
with a given hash. Apparently the hash is not recalculated when the
file is renamed? So all the old file names keep accreting in the
database and who knows which database entry gets the associated
metadata?

Elle