[Digikam-users] Re: using extracted jpeg as "sidecar" for raw files

Robert Zeller robert.zeller at robert-zeller.org
Thu Jan 6 20:58:04 GMT 2011

Hello Elle,

I am shooting both, jpg and raw (in my case Nikon .nef) files. Like you
I am storing the raw and the jpg files in different sub directories of
every album, sub dirs typically called jgp and raw. Since mostly the
jpg's are ok I do all the tagging on the jpgs and store the meta data in
the jpgs. After that is done, I extract the meta data from the jpgs
using exiv2: Typical command:
exiv2 ex *.jpg
; this creates sidecars with the jpgs basename and the extension .exv.
Then I move the .exv sidecar files to the raw subdirectory and write the
metadata to the raw files; using e.g. the following command sequence:

for F in `ls *.nef` ; do
exiv2 -iixe $F
done

the .exv files can be removed after that

you   can obtain all the exiv2 command options by:

man exiv2

Robert Zeller