[Digikam-users] using extracted jpeg as "sidecar" for raw files

Elle Stone l.elle.stone at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 17:50:33 GMT 2011

Hello digikam users,

I don't want to use dng. But I would like a way to tag, caption, etc my raw
files. I was thinking of extracting the embedded jpegs and using them as a
handy "side-cars" for the raw files for tagging, rating, etc. Has anyone
done so? How did it work for you? Any reasons why it is perhaps not such a
good idea?

If the jpeg "side-car"carries all the metadata produced by digikam, then if
desired I could use exiftool to write selected jpeg metadata back to the
corresponding raw file. And the jpeg offers visual confirmation that the
jpeg actually belongs to its corresponding raw file.

I've separated all my in-camera-produced jpegs into a separate album from my
raw files. I don't shoot simultaneous raw and jpeg (slow, uses a lot of
extra space on the card), so there is no problem of confusing an extracted
jpeg from a simultaneously-produced jpeg.

dcraw can extract the embedded jped: "dcraw -e *.cr2" (my camera is Canon
400d/xti). Not all the metadata gets carried across from raw to jpeg, but
enough does, I think, for my purposes.

exiv2 also can extract an embedded jpeg and keeps some? all? the metadata,
but I don't know how to use exiv2 - does anyone have any hints?

Thanks for advice,
Elle Stone