[Digikam-users] Re: Renaming photo files

Elle Stone l.elle.stone at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 13:06:13 GMT 2011

To open the rename dialog:
There are three ways that I've found (possibly there are more):
1.Select a few photographs, right-click, and rename is the fifth
option down the list on my version of digikam (1.7 from philip5 ppa,
running on ubuntu 10.10). 2. select and then hit F2 opens the dialog.
3.Menu-Image-Rename.

The blue circle:
When the rename dialog is open, look at the blank box where you enter
your renaming information. The line has an x inside a funny arrow at
the end, next to a drop down arrow. Just to the right of the box is an
icon that looks like a pencil (sort of - it is too small for me to
really see what it is supposed to be). Clicking on the pencil (if that
is what it really is) brings up several options. "Replace" is one of
the options. But ignore the pencil icon for now. Look to the right of
the pencil icon to see the blue circle with the "i" in it to see a
list of all the renaming options, along with an explanation.

To select all the items in an album:
Go to the menu at the top, click on View, look to the next to the
bottom option where it says "Include Album Sub-Tree" and check it.
That way, the entire album is visible. Warning: at least on my
computer, clicking on an album with 5000 images sends the cpu up to
100% for maybe 15 seconds (my computer is over five years old).

Will it work on your entire album without any problems?
I am not a digikam expert. I am in the process of learning how to use
digikam. I did a rename on a test album with 500 images. It went
flawlessly. But I wasn't removing ":".

I did a test rename on a couple of images after inserting some random
":" just to make sure I gave you the right string to put in the box.
It also went flawlessly.

Databases scare me silly just because it is so easy to upset them. If
I were you I'd copy a couple hundred sample images to a test album and
test away using digikam rename (and also maybe using Krename, whatever
that is, if you don't like the results with digikam rename).

It seems to me that there still is one bug with the rename, and that
is with the {unique} option, but that shouldn't affect removing ":"
from file names.

My personal experience with other DAM software (photools imatch), is
that if you rename outside the DAM software, it will treat the renamed
images as new images. But if Krename is a kde ap, maybe that makes a
difference, at least if you use a full-blown KDE desktop.

Perhaps people more experienced in Krename/Digikam combo might speak up here.

Hope that helps. There are no guarantees. Wish there were. Try a test
album first. Best of luck and let me know how it goes.

Kind Regards,
Elle Stone