[Digikam-users] Re: documentation - where are the thumbnails?

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 18:37:26 GMT 2011

2011/1/5 Elle Stone <l.elle.stone at gmail.com>

> Hi, All,
>
> I've been going through the digikam documentation - the online html (which
> seems to match the downloadable pdf - yes? are they in sync?). The
> documentation says
>
> "digiKam follows the freedesktop.org standards for thumbnail folders
> (
> http://docs.kde.org/development/en/extragear-graphics/digikam/using-firstrun.html
> )".

This is not true from digiKam 1.x. The reason is optimize space used on
disk. PNG compress is not the best.

As you said below, PGF format is used instead and all data are stored in a
sqlite database file. The compression ratio can be between 2 to 5. For 100
items, the gain is not to huge, but imagine for 100.000 items. It's not
negligible.

Using this way, we can also ref all items hosted on a removable media.

Gilles Caulier