[Digikam-users] documentation - where are the thumbnails?

Elle Stone l.elle.stone at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 16:30:00 GMT 2011

Hi, All,

I've been going through the digikam documentation - the online html (which
seems to match the downloadable pdf - yes? are they in sync?). The
documentation says

"digiKam follows the freedesktop.org standards for thumbnail folders
(http://docs.kde.org/development/en/extragear-graphics/digikam/using-firstrun.html)".

The link to freedesktop.org doesn't actually lead to information about where
the thumbnails are stored. I'm guessing "/home/username/.thumbnails" is the
actual "standard" (freedesktop denies setting standards) thumbnail location.
But I think really digikam now stores thumbnails in its database?

"digiKam use a new database to cache thumbnails instead ~./thumbnails. File
format used to store image is PGF (http://www.libpgf.org). PGF is a wavelets
based image compression format and give space optimizations
(http://www.digikam.org/drupal/node/477)".

Or does "thumbnails-digikam.db" only store references to the thumbnails,
which are actually stored somewhere else?