[Digikam-users] Re: digikam search and high cpu usage: sqlite, mysql compared

Elle Stone l.elle.stone at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 18:11:41 GMT 2011

Is digikam searching the database AND the image metadata? Or just the
database? If it is searching the image metadata in each and every
image, that would cause the high cpu usage  And a lot of unnecessary
disk activity.

Unlike what I thought at first, this is not an sqlite vs mysql
problem. Rather the cpu usage spikes on most/all searches regardless
of which type of database is being used. The search results come up
very quickly. But the cpu usage stays high for a very long time after
the search is actually and obviously completed.

As I stated earlier,

(1)Using the search bar at the bottom of the page to enter search terms,
then (2)clicking on the search icon at the top of the page to do the search,
sends the cpu to 100%, where it stays, permanently, even after the search
results have been retrieved.

Actually the cpu usage does stop eventually, if I wait long enough. I
just don't like to see my processor thrashing for no discernible
reason.

Any help greatly appreciated. This high cpu usage that accomplishes
nothing is quite disappointing.

Regards,
Elle Stone