[Digikam-users] metadata menu and configure options

Elle Stone l.elle.stone at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 23:47:41 GMT 2011

Hi, all,

I have some questions about image metadata, digikam options, and
information in the database.

1. What controls what metadata gets written to the database  during
image import?

2. What affect (if any) does changes in Menu/Settings/Configure
digiKam/Metadata have on what metadata goes into the database? Is all
the information displayed in the Metadata left side panel also in the
database? Or just some of it?

3. Under Menu/Album there are two options: "Write Metadata to Images"
and "Reread Metadata from Images". I know those sound
self-explanatory, but what really happens? When might one want (or not
want) to use either of these alternatives? Is it safe to assume that
writing metadata to a raw file is still not advised, even if possible
(putting dng aside - I don't use dng)? I'm doing a little tag-pruning,
so would it be wise to write the updated tags back to the jpegs? How
about tiff? png? ppm? Is there a list somewhere of supported file
formats?

Many thanks for help in sorting this out.

Elle Stone