[Digikam-users] digikam search and high cpu usage: sqlite, mysql compared

Elle Stone l.elle.stone at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 23:09:42 GMT 2011

Dear digikam users,

I upgraded from Ubuntu 10.4 to 10.10 and installed digikam 1.7 (many
thanks to Philip Johnsson's ppa). I'm still trying to figure out how
to actually use digikam, so please bear with me.

I have digikam running mysql and also sqlite, by means of stopping
digikam, renaming the .kde folder in my home directory to change from
using sqlite to using mysql, and vice versa, and then restarting
digikam.

I'm not actually accomplishing anything in digikam (otherwise running
two databases would be stupid, of course), just trying out the
different digikam functionalities on a collection of jpegs, all of
which have embedded tags, copyright, etc.

One functionality I've played with is search. Search and tag filter
under sqlite seems reasonably responsive.

Search and tag filter under mysql also happens quickly, but for some
reason the cpu usage goes up to 100% and stays there until I leave the
search results. Searching using the left side pane and only a single
keyword search seems to not have this problem so much. Using the
bottom search box or the tag filter definitely spikes the cpu up to
100% and it just stays there. Ditto with the tag filter. And trying
more complicated searches using the left side pane advanced search
also send the cpu to 100%, where it stays until I leave the search
results.

Anyone else noticed this problem? Any insight as to how to make the
cpu usage drop back to normal when the search is completed? As I said,
the search itself is very quick. And under sqlite the cpu drops when
the search results are in. mostly.

Thanks in advance for advice on Search and/or digikam/mysql,
Elle Stone