[Digikam-users] (the old) network path problem

Gregor Rosenauer gregor.rosenauer at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 22:33:25 GMT 2011

Hello list,

Just tried digikam 1.8 on  a fresh Chakra  (Arch/KDE) install, this
time I wanted to do without fstab hacking and rely solely on KDE's SMB
KIO-slave and just use my smb:// folders as connected using Dolphin.
Unfortunately, even KDE applications like digikam seem to have
problems with KDE's standard way of handling network drives.

I can see the network drives and have full access to all my photos,
but digikam will just report an errorr that the path does not exist
(even I could select it using the browse button...) and asks me if it
should create the folder.

Are network drives over KDE's own smb:// KIO slave supported or do I
have to set up (real) mount points for digikam to work?

Thanks in advance - I really hate KDE's way of handling network
drives, mount points should be created automatically, as in all other
decent operating systems. It is such an unnecessary work to set it up
everytime and one cannot expect normal users to do that...

btw my frustration is only related to network shares / KDE / KDE apps,
I'm very happy with digikam as a photo management software, many many
thanks! Bought the ebook yesterday...

Gregor