[Digikam-users] Re: Migrating to digiKam from Windows (story) - metadata issue

Francis Corvin francis_ at gmx.net
Mon Feb 28 23:42:18 GMT 2011

Martin,

I feel your pain, as a Windows user, and as someone who has tried to
organise his metadata.

What you are describing is less a problem with digiKam than a problem
inherent to IPTC and XMP. It is a shocking problem indeed and stems
from the desire to use IPTC as something else than what it was meant
to be (essentially tagging news photographs using rigidly controlled
dictionaries). Let alone the fact that some loose interpretations of
it have caused issues between difference pieces of software even
before XMP was around.

XMP is just a shell to store whichever data structure you want. You
could even store an IPTC model in XMP if you set your mind to it. But
that just means it's easy for data models to proliferate without
concern for compatibility, especially as people are lulled by a false
sense that if everyone uses XMP, data becomes interchangeable... And
then someone with enough critical mass starts to build his own
standard over XMP. No need to name names...

Anyway, enough with ranting. In my (not so humble) view IPTC is best
ignored by anyone who is not an English-only stock agency. And even
then, if they are, hierarchical tags --- which IPTC does not support
(utter stupidity) --- may force them to use something else.

Francis