[Digikam-users] digiKam raw converter default gamma curve

Elle Stone l.elle.stone at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 20:20:56 GMT 2011

I've been exploring the digiKam raw converter.
I was happy (ecstatic) to see that the raw converter appears to have true
Unclip as an opton (like in the dcraw code, and unlike UFRaw, which has
flawed handling of highlights, imho). Also the inclusion of DCB and AMaZE is
"amazing".

So I have a question about the gamma curve. (The post-processing tab gamma
is probably not the gamma that I'm asking about - post-processing gamma is
applied after raw conversion rather than as part of raw conversion.)

In dcraw code the gamma curve is calculated in this function: void CLASS
gamma_curve (double pwr, double ts, int mode, int imax)
(http://ninedegreesbelow.com/2010/imaging/dcraw-annotated/dcraw-v898-annotated.html#D3)

dcraw command line option: "-g 1 1" gives linear gamma output.
"-g 2.20 0" gives simple power curveor "true gamma".
default curve is "-g 2.222 4.5".

Questions:
1. What default gamma curve does the digiKam raw converter use?
2. Is there a way to specify a custom gamma curve in the gui, that I'm just
not seeing?
Also, could someone be kind enough to point me to the code section for the
raw converter?

Many thanks in advance,
Elle