[Digikam-users] Re: On backing up

gerlos gerlosgm at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 11:29:30 GMT 2011

Il giorno 23/feb/2011, alle ore 14.39, Gilles Caulier ha scritto:

> I'm just interrested by this post.
>
> Carbonite service
> http://www.carbonite.com/en/online-backup-software/how-it-works
>
> is not too expensive : 54$ per computer... but for which capacity in Gb ???
>
> Of course, service do not work under Linux, as usual (i'm sure that
> Linux is used in background by Carbonite)
>
> Somebody know an alternative, working under Linux, with attractive prize ?

Since i's part of KDE, I strongly suggest you to give a look at ownCloud:
http://owncloud.org

You can install it anywhere you want (it needs apache, php5 and mysql or sqlite), and get cloud storage features you need, on your hardware (I don't know of you, but I worry about privacy on cloud services), or just buy such a service from a vendor like this:
https://www.packagecloud.com/?au=owncloud
(it's 5 euros/month for unlimited space, so you have a lot of data it's not bad at all)

Another important thing to keep in mind is that a lot of those cloud services are proprietary software, and you really can't know anything about the risks for your privacy or your data. The aim with owncloud is to give you back control.
At the moment not all the planned features are ready, but it's a matter of months.

I think that it would be really great if KDE projects like digikam and owncloud could interoperate more tightly.

Another open source cloud storage service is Sparkleshare:
http://sparkleshare.org/

It has less features than owncloud, but it seems to be more "user-ready" than owncloud. It needs only git and ssh on the server, so one can self-host it on his/her own hardware (keeping data private), or get free hosting using github or gitorious (but this way anything will be public).

regards
gerlos

--
"Fairy tales are more than true, not because they tell us that dragons exist,
but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten."