[Digikam-users] Re: rsnapshot (was Re: Back-ups on CD/DVD with DAR)

jdd jdd at dodin.org
Thu Feb 24 06:51:20 GMT 2011

Le 24/02/2011 01:04, David Vincent-Jones a écrit :
> Using rsync (in synchronize mode) backups never need to be deleted and
> backups are extremely fast and convenient.

not so easy.

When, like me, you often test beta dvd, you have to sort out what have
to be backed and what don't have

even for photos (the subject, here), new cameras with more than 15
Mpix (and sometime more than 2000 shots a week end) makes it difficult
to make backups. gigabits flow NAS are not cheap. one need several...

no simple solution :-(

I Have a local copy of the original jpeg files (I don't use "raw"
photos, as I have no time to manage them), a copy managed by Digikam
(I don't hesitate there to remove all the bad shots, 75%).

Then I make a specal copy for Piwigo web gallery with reduced "high
definition" shots (only 3Mpix approx) for a reasonable transfer time
with my 1Mb upload bandwith.

I rarely use the full original definition. I make mostly Rock band
shots, in very difficult conditions (low light, fast moving dancers -
often 6500 iso with EOS 50D), thats why there are so many shots with
so bad average result

most of the images are never printed more than A4, so if ever I lose
some original definition ones, it's not very important.

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xgxog7_clip-l-ombre-et-la-lumiere-3-bad-pigeons_music