[Digikam-users] Re: rsnapshot (was Re: Back-ups on CD/DVD with DAR)

Thorsten Schnebeck thorsten.schnebeck at gmx.net
Wed Feb 23 23:15:47 GMT 2011

Am Mittwoch 23 Februar 2011, um 23:16:15 schrieb jdd:
> Le 23/02/2011 22:09, Thorsten Schnebeck a écrit :
> > I also prefer a fast local backup. I use a separate backup server
> > that offers a large NFS network directory for each client.
>
> I see this as a heavy risk. I already had a backup script that happen
> to delete the backup and the original at the same time :-( - never
> understood what happen exactly, but I ended with all the files, but
> zero length (and no hardware problem, no notification, so I noticed
> this at restore time!)
>
> now I have usb hard drives (two, never connected at the same time) and
> Blu-Ray disks*
> of course nothing is never perfect...
>
> jdd

Hmm, never saw such an error. The only problem I have sometimes with NFS is
when using it on an ADSL line via OpenVPN and having an IP change on the
client. Now OpenVPN needs some time to recover the connection and NFS can
"hang". But in an Intranet NFS is very reliable I trust a network-harddisk
combination more than every optical media out there. I have also very positive
experiences using Linux ISCSI storage to backup Windows server in an intranet.

But if such an error you describe happens once, the rsync algorithm should
correct it next time. The only time I delete a backup is during rotation. And
if rsync failed or is unhappy cron sends me an email.

And to protect the RAID array I use one of these cheap 5min UPS devices +
burst & surge protection.

But as you said:
"nothing is never perfect..." and may I add "a backup is only valuable when
you have a simply working restore procedure"

Bye

  Thorsten