[Digikam-users] Re: Moving an album

John B. Egger jbe9 at cornell.edu
Sat Feb 19 22:35:50 GMT 2011

On 02/19/2011 05:16 AM, gerlos wrote:
> Il giorno 18/feb/2011, alle ore 02.17, John B. Egger ha scritto:
>
>> I created a ~200-photo album in /home/john/Pictures and added captions,
>> tags, and revised creation dates. Earlier, I had copied the same
>> photographs to /media/disk/Photographs and had created a few captions
>> and tags there. (There's a small digikam4.db file there dated a month
>> ago.) Although I worked with the photos in that location a little bit, a
>> month ago, but I then did much more extensive work with the
>> /home/john/Pictures copy. How do I get the complete set of metadata (in
>> /home/john/Pictures/digikam4.db) into /media/disk/Photographs?
> So metadata you want (for some picture) is on /home/john/Pictures, and you want to discard metadata stored in /media/disk/Photographs (for the same pictures), right?
Not exactly, Gerlos. I want to copy the metadata from all of the 196
photos in "Pictures" to the photos in "Photographs," then completely
eliminate the /home/john/Pictures folder.

> I'd setup Digikam to save metadata to pictures, sync metadata in the database with metadata in the pictures, and just copy/move pictures I need to /media/disk/Photographs, and sync the database again.
>
> This should work. Try with a test image to become confident yourself with the process.
Thanks! Yes, that worked with a test image from another album.

What are the disadvantages of writing the metadata to the images? I'm
just a family snapshot guy (that's probably obvious from my questions),
not a pro like so many in this group, but there must be some advantages
to having the metadata in a separate .db file.

--
---John
Registered Linux User #291592