[Digikam-users] Re: shared and archived photos

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 12:05:46 GMT 2011

Personally, at home, i use this configuration :

1 netbook Linux/Win7 (Wifi)
1 macbook (Ethernet)
1 laptop Win Vista. (Wifi)

I setup recently a B3 server device to host all my photos B3 is
connected to network with Ethernet and has 1 Gb HDD. Network sharing
is Samba (windows/linux) and AFP (apple)

http://www.digikam.org/node/570

On B3 i tried setup Mysql server to host remote collection. It work
and you can share same database for all home computer. The disavantage
is that doesn't work if you use your computer outside home (for ex
with my netbook) The solution is to open database acess through
internet, but for security reason, i don't do iy currently.

About that On my netbook i switch from Mysql to SQlite.

Using remote collections and remote database can be a problem if
network is slow (typically with WIFI). The goal is to render all DB
registrations (scan, thumb, fingerprint, faceid) connecting computer
by ethernet. After that i disable scan new items at startup and do it
manually if it's really necessary.

i hope that it's help you...

Gilles Caulier