[Digikam-users] Linear tags (was: Rating based on quality or content? Ideas, comments?)

Johnny yggdrasil at gmx.co.uk
Sat Feb 12 11:06:28 GMT 2011

Gilles Caulier <caulier.gilles at gmail.com> writes:
> Perhaps are you talking about Pick Label Tags (similar than LightRoom,
> Aperture and Bibble.
No, I think this is a different concept.

JD Rogers <rogersjd at gmail.com> writes:
> So I for one like the idea of maybe two rating fields that would be
> fairly common to all, i.e. quality and content ratings. The above
> graph is 2D, so the lower left ratings are 1/1; lower right 1/5, upper
> right 5/5, etc. But then for those who want other criterion beyond the
> common quality/content ratings, the ability to have custom rating
> fields would be neat. It would be like a tag that could be assigned a
> value, perhaps with customizable number of degradations.
>
> Sounds like this would be an interesting feature. The problem with
> tags is that they are inherently binary, either the photo has the tag
> or not. You could do a poor-man's version by making tags content1,
> content2, etc. The only problem is that it's not as easy to filter by
> a threshold like the star rating, and you would need to OR all tags
> you want to display.

I like the idea of linear tags! After all, that is what the star rating is
anyhow, a linear tag with a user-defined tag name (e.g. quality,
content or whatever is in the raters mind).

If one would generalise all tags to 2D, normal tags have a lower bound
of 0 and an upper bound of 1 (i.e. binary as today), and star ratings
have a lower bound of 0 and upper of 5. If tags had customistable lower
and upper bounds, with a default of being binary, any tag could be set
as with a custom span, and 2D, 3D or any other -D sets could be flexibly
selected.

E.g. a photo of my garden could be tagged "nature 2/5", while the shot
from the amazons is tagged "nature 5/5"; a picture of a car in the
street may be rated "cars 1/3" while that of an F1 car in the pit stop
"cars 3/3" (as an example of flexible use only, not to be seen as a
suggestion!).

That would be great for generalisation, however the only use I can see
personally is to differentiate quality and content rating, so two linear
tags (star ratings) would suffice.
--
Johnny