[Digikam-users] Re: Digikam support Nikon D3100

Robert Zeller robert.zeller at robert-zeller.org
Wed Feb 2 12:20:25 GMT 2011

Gerlos et al.:

I am having the same problem with my Nikon D200 in ptp mode (camera is
correctly recognized by DK; but no access to the images on the camera);
I completely agree with you that this is not a DK problem but related to
some strange mounting of the ptp-camera by some other application; here
are my findings:

I am running two almost identical systems with the following configurations:
1. PC : 64 bit system: SuSE 11.3, DK 1.8 ; kde 4.4.4
2. Laptop : 32 bit system SuSE 11.3, DK 1.8  both systems have the same
software level

On system 2 (Laptop) Camera is mounted in ptp mode by DK without
problems and images can be loaded by DK; on system 1 (PC) images can not
be loaded.
And now the very strange behaviour: Only for one user - unfortunately my
own id - the PC is not able to load the images via DK; on all other
accounts images would be loaded by DK.

This is obviously related to some other application - I don't know which
one - mounting the camera before DK is able to grab it. Looking further
into this problem I found that, as soon as I plug in the camera, an
automatic  mount is performed in $HOME/.gvfs/'ghoto2 mount on
usb%3A001,006' ; and it is possible to find  all the files on the camera
memory card under this mount point.

The mount command delivers the following information:

gvfs-fuse-daemon on /home/robert/.gvfs type fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon
(rw,nosuid,nodev,user=robert)

Since all other users don't see this strange behavior the only
explanation would be that one of the applications that are started on
login to my own account performs the mount of the gvfs-fuse-daemon;
though this mount command is nowhere in /etc/fstab. Umounting the
gvfs-fuse-daemon by hand and then starting DK doesn't solve the problem.

I have no idea which application forces the unwanted mount of the
gvfs-fuse-daemon and what I can do, to force DK to mount the camera
before any other applcation.

Anybody any ideas ???

Robert