[Digikam-users] Digikam dependency on akonadi

Vikram Ramchandran vikramr at telus.net
Thu Aug 25 18:13:01 BST 2011

First of all thank you for taking the time to read my mail and
respond. Also apologies for the multiple mails. I was a long time
Kmail user migrating to Thunderbird and had some config issues.

I appreciate all the fantastic work the KDE devs have done and as an
former software architect I like the concept and architecture of
akonadi and nepomuk. Unfortunately the implementation has been
extremely resource intensive. I have a modest laptop with 2GB RAM and
I would like to keep that for RAW image processing not for nepomuk and
akonadi to use up half of that.

just to clarify the response i get from many experts is that akonadi
isnt supposed to be resource intensive and that doesnt take resources
if you dont start them and there are instructions on how to prevent
the services from starting. there are a couple of issues with this
approach -

1. I need to do this for each user on my machine - myself, wife and
guest account
2. Config files change and get overwritten with upgrades then i have
to find the fix and change in three places.
3. What do users who don't have top of the line hardware do untill the
implementation is fixed ?

Can anyone direct me to instructions on how to compile digikam without
these dependencies ? I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one wanting to
remove these from my laptop so a wiki page with instructions would be
awesome. my humble request for the digikam devs is to not incorporate
akonadi and nepomuk into the core app but leave them on as add ons or
plugins. After all isn't free software all about giving the user
options instead of forcing functionality they down want bogging down
the system ?

Thanks for listening

Vikram